Wanna Meet a Bunch of Authors? and Help Children Read?

Guess where I’m going on Saturday?

Sorry, I should never start a blog with ‘guess where I’m going’. Like anyone could really get the answer right. Like anyone cares enough to make an educated guess.

I should’ve started with, “Anyone want to meet some really cool authors?”

But it’s too late. According to ROB (rules of the blog), I must face the repercussions of my original question.

So, did anyone guess Ogden? And those of you who guessed Ogden, did you further guess the Treehouse Museum?

You did? You win!

I’m going there to get my first page critiqued by some awesome authors, for charity. Wanna mingle with the likes of Shannon Hale, James Dashner, Anne Bowen, Sara Zarr, Emily Wing Smith, Bree Despain and many many more? Then join me!

If you don’t have a first page, type one up. You have almost 24 hours. You can type a page in 24 hours.

Here’s the info:

http://www.treehousemuseum.org/events_and_calendar.php


I tried to take the charity one step further by offering a one-page critique from Smokey the Hairless Cat. But apparently even charity has its limits. (They said that something that ugly could not possibly give a kind critique).

All of the proceeds go to the Treehouse Children’s Museum. Sam complained about me doing yet another writing outing – on a Saturday, no less - to which I responded, “Why do you hate children?”

Hope to see you there!

Wildlife Wandering Past our Blog

Thank you for being kind to the wildlife (yes, you, James) on Wednesday’s blog, and not scaring him away. You can follow more of his hilarity on Twitter (Yesterday, I think he tweeted about a mole, or something). But, as you observe his strange ways, please refrain from feeding the animal.

Conversations with Lucy and Ethel

I went to dinner the other night with “Lucy” and “Ethel” of the famous Twilight Virgins post.

It’s nice to have friends like Lucy and Ethel. Sometimes I get so caught up in eating and breathing YA books (not good for your health. I wouldn’t suggest it), and I forget there’s another world out there. Somewhere.

I was explaining to Lucy and Ethel the different genres of literature, and how Young Adult is it’s own genre, with all sorts of sub-genres like realistic fiction, literary, blah dee blah boop.

They asked what I write, and I told them, “Y.A. paranormal.”

Blank stares.

Me: “You know. Paranormal. For teens. Same genre as Twilight, except mine’s a bit more sci-fi.”

Blank stares.

Me: “Ugh. Remember Twilight?”

Lucy: “Wasn’t that a movie we saw?”

Me: “Yes. Good. But now I’m talking about the book.”

Ethel: “They made a book from the movie?”

Me: softly pounding my head on the dinner table.

You may think I’m kidding. But only if you’ve never met Lucy and Ethel.

Later in the conversation, Lucy told how she made her second-grade son finish a 30 page math project, even though it wasn’t due til the end of October.

The teacher praised her boy, and showered him with gold stars and dancing elephants.

Then Lucy asked how my own Kid C is doing in first grade. All I could report was that Carter came home from school that day, carrying a homework folder with the name “Abby” at the top. Every page inside it had this Abby’s name as well.

I confronted Kid C.

Me: “Carter, why does your folder say 'Abby' on it?”

Kid C: “Abby?”

Me: “Yeah.”

Kid C: “That’s weird. ‘Abby’ wasn’t his name.”

Me: “Wasn’t whose name?”

Kid C (rolling eyes): “His name wasn’t Abby.”

Me: “Whose name wasn’t Abby?”

Kid C: “Brodi. Listen. To. Me. Lot’s of people aren’t named Abby.”

I couldn’t argue with his logic. Lots of people aren’t named Abby. I defy you to prove otherwise.

Finally…
Sam and I watched the last half of Step Up 2 the Streets. I still can’t believe movie-makers show the “dance-off” as if it’s a shootout at the OK Corral.

A dance-off ranks just below the “rap-off” when it comes to dangerous duels.

So, enjoy my favorite rap-off. (Thanks, Shellie, for reminding me of this little gem.)