Shenanigans Ensued at the Book Bloggers Social

Random Thingee: Hubby keeps calling me Martha. Over and over. He's been getting mad when I don't respond. Anyone care to offer diagnosis? Martha, Brodi. Brodi, Martha. They're practically interchangeable.

Book Bloggers Social
Saturday night, I went to the Utah Book Bloggers social, where I met all sorts of cool bloggers.

Aforementioned "Cool Bloggers"

I knew everyone would have business cards to hand out, so about an hour before I was supposed to leave, I decided to quickly design some and print them up.

Designing the little suckers was a feat, because all I had was my name and my website. And I didn't want to be all "Men in Black" about it:


Like, "I'm Brodi. I blog. I'd have more on my card, but I'm CIA, and it would cost someone a life. Do you want that on your head, just so you can have more information?"

Thankfully, I remembered Marie's artwork for my book:

so I slapped it on there.

This all took up the first hour. Hey, typing is hard.

Then I had to search for cardstock. Came up with 8 pieces of white.

So, I set it to print 8, figuring that would give me at least 40 or 50 cards. More than enough. When I went downstairs to the printer, all 8 pages had printed. With one card per page. Smack dab in the middle.

Crap.

Now I'm 15 minutes late, and I can't find the kitchen scissors, or my paper cutter. (Yes, I'm really that disorganized.) I'm about to tear them, when Kid C hands me his "scissors" from kindergarten.

Together, we cut out all 8 cards, in under 30 minutes. Did I mention Kid C got 2 out of 5 stars in kindergarten for "Cutting in a Straight Line"?

No problem. I shove the cards in my pocket and head out the door. When we get to the park, we wander around for about half an hour, looking for the group.

The cards get nice and sweaty.

When it's finally time to hand them out, they're curled, warped, wrinkled and moist.

To add insult to injury, I have to say, "I only have the eight, so if you think you're gonna throw it away, please don't take one."

Great impression, right?

Here are the authors at the event. I promise the picture taker said, "Okay, Brodi please look like a dork. The rest of you smile like normal people."
Other random happenings at the social:
  • Bree Despain debuted her Dark Divine nail polish
  • Suey's son declared J. Scott Savage's book to be "better than Harry Potter"
  • James Dashner threw a cup at me
  • Organizer Natasha Maw treated me like an author. (Shhh, don't tell her the truth).
  • J. Scott Savage, or "Jeff" as his friends call him, cleared up the confusion about his name. Sorta.
  • Emily Wing Smith made interesting, and slightly gross, hand gestures at Coldstone
  • Bree Despain gave in to her lactose intolerance, and ate ice cream
  • James Dashner bet me 5 bucks I couldn't finish my extra large Coldstone Ice Cream, with Raspberries and Graham Crackers
  • Upon observing me chow down the first five bites, James Dashner rescinded the offer. And asked if I'd need another one.
  • None of us could remember what movie made Doris Day famous
  • I learned a new word. "Habitue". When I asked what it meant, I was told, "It's like 'denizen'." When I asked what that meant, I was told, "Home." By then, I had forgotten what the original word was.
  • I learned that Bermuda Shorts don't necessarily need to have flowers printed on them.
  • We decided Emily Wing Smith's new contacts were haunted, and turning her eyes black.
  • James Dashner admitted to chasing down Mike Tyson in an airport based solely on the fact that it would make a good blog post.
  • Natasha's hubby Taylor is writing a book about aliens too. They really are the next big thing! Pass it on!
Here are some links to the bloggers I met. There would be more, but I totally suck at hyper-linking. (Is that even the correct terminology?) The link at the bottom will take you to the entire group.

mawbooks.com
http://bookhabitue.blogspot.com/
http://bookscoops.com/
http://haikuamy.blogspot.com/
http://sueysbooks.blogspot.com/
http://mjmbecky.blogspot.com/
http://emilysreadingroom.blogspot.com/
http://angieville.blogspot.com/

Entire List of Utah Book Blooggers

How's everyone's week going? Any happenings? Hope you all are doing well, and thank you for your comments and your donations from Monday's blog.