NEGOTIATIONS AND LOVE SONGS

I'm loving this question and answer thing. Why did I never do this before?

Okay, so in the comments section yesterday, we had some very good suggestions about what readers want more of in Young Adult fiction. (The next Harry Potter was my favorite- I'll get right on that, Erin.)

There was also a request for books in a similar vein as Ann Cannon's LOSER'S GUIDE TO LIFE AND LOVE. Since y'all are such a well-read bunch, I'm asking you to weigh in on this.

Several comments requested a more varied vocabulary. Let's challenge those readers! Make them look in a dictionary once in a while. I admit to using the word "abscond" in my book. I had to look it up.

So, you are getting more questions today. Let's see if we can get every single lurker to make an appearance. (In addition to you regular commenters, of course).

You may choose to answer one, all, or none.

1. Do you like me?
I jest, of course. But I want to know what you look for in a blog. What keeps you reading? Checking in every day? What would you like to see more of? Because, I'm here to make you happy.

2. I plan on interviewing authors on my blog. What questions would you ask a published author?

3. Cubs or White Socks? Seriously, I'm doing research for my next project. Bear cubs or my dirty white tennis socks?

4. What's on your mind? What shows are you watching? What books have you read recently that you love?

5. I want to write a good ghost story. Anyone know any ghosts personally?

6. Do you like the Animaniacs as much as I do?

7. Will you still read my blog if I cut out the Tuesday post, and just do Monday, Wednesday, Friday?

Let's cut the questions off at an even seven.

SPEAKING OF VOCABULARY:
"The difference between the right word and the almost right word is the difference between lightning and a lightning bug." - Mark Twain

This is one of my favorite quotes. It's true for books, but it's even more pronounced in lyrics. Lyricists amaze me, because each word carries so much weight. So when lyrics are bad, they are really really bad.

I am a product of the 80's, and here are the lyrics to the chorus of one of my favorite songs growing up. They make me laugh now.

"East is east, west is west
Two diff'rent colors on the map
We say break the line, chew the fat
a keep moving out into the gap"

What does that even mean?

Some more examples of lyrics from popular artists:
"I love you like
A fat kid loves cake"

Yeah, that line is how Sam got me to marry him.

"I don't like cities
But I like New York
Other places
Make me feel like a dork"

I'm with you on the dork part.

"Coast to coast
L.A. to Chicago"


Which coast would Chicago be on?

"I wish it was Sunday
That's my fun day
My I-don't-have-to-run day"

I got nothin'.

So when you find a lyric master, it's beautiful. My lyric sensei is Paul Simon. Every word is lightning.
Below, I present my all time favorite line. (Train in the Distance).

"The thought that life could be better
Is woven indelibly
Into our hearts
And our brains"

And the lyrics to "Something so Right".
You've got the cool water
When the fever runs high
You've got the look of lovelight in your eyes
And I was in crazy motion
'Til you calmed me down
It took a little time
But you calmed me down

When something goes wrong
I'm the first to admit it
I'm the first to admit it
And the last one to know

Chorus:
when something goes right
Well it's likely to lose me, mm
It's apt to confuse me
It's such an unusual sight
Oh, I can't, I can't get used to something so right
Something so right

They've got a wall in China
It's a thousand miles long
To keep out the foreigners they made it strong
And I've got a wall around me
That you can't even see
It took a little time
To get next to me

Chorus

Some people never say the words "I love you"
It's not their style
to be so bold
Some people never say the words "I love you"
But like a child they're longing to be told, mm

Chorus

Seriously good stuff. And now, while you ponder our discussion questions, enjoy this video from other talented lyricists, the Animaniacs.