Thing #1 I Learned about Revision

I finally turned my revisions in to Michael, and so I thought it'd be fun to do a series of posts about things I learned along the way. 

To start things off:

Thing 1: I can't rely on dreams for book ideas.

It's often the first question someone asks a writer: "Where do you get your ideas?"

For me, the answer is, I have no idea. But I'll tell you where they don't come from: My dreams. Some authors can transcribe dreams about sparkly vamps in a meadow, word for word, and turn them into best-sellers. Not me.

I fell asleep as I was brainstorming ideas for a book I haven't written yet. (Part of my assignment from my agent). As I slept, I dreamed the following:

I go to the store, and - on a whim - buy a little boy, about 4 inches tall. We bring him home, and put him in a hamster cage. After a few years, the boy grows too big for his cage, but we still keep him in it for fear that if we let him out, it would mean we have a third child, and I never wanted a third child. 

When guests would come over, we'd throw a sheet over the cage, because it would be awkward if  -- during the salad course -- they noticed we kept a three-year old boy in a hamster cage.

Needless to say, this is not what I turned into my agent. Unfortunately the strangest thing about the dream is the fact that I made a home-cooked meal and actually invited guests over to share.

As you can see, I get no inspiration from dreams.

So, my first revision tip would be: Expect to do your best work when you're awake.

What are some of your revision tips?